Wednesday, November 22, 2006

ASA

Some people have too much time on their hands and complain to the advertising watchdog.

I've often wanted to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority. Usually when looking at an ad and thinking “I bet you could interpret that as racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-semitic", but before I get a chance to put pen to paper or pick up the phone, I have to remind myself that it’s wrong to complain just so we can have a really good headline on Brand Republic. Besides I would be found out and, well, it would be embarrassing if I was.

I digress, sort of. More than 20 people this week complained to the ASA about the Lynx ad where the guy in it showers people in huge amounts of sweat.

They were pissed off that the ad made fun of people who suffered from excessive perspiration.

Twenty people is a pretty big hit. They must have been having a group meeting or something. That, or people really do have too much time on their hands.

They complained it was "offensive", "insensitive" and "made fun of sufferers of hyperhidrosis", which is apparently the condition describing excessive sweating.

Everybody sweats, it can be embarrassing, but no one sweats like the guy in the Lynx ad and no one could possibly take that ad seriously. The guy has a hose pipe under his arm and it’s funny. It’s almost a really good ad. I say almost, as the most annoying thing about it is the naff Scottish voiceover that accompanies the spot.

It clearly wasn't shot in sunny Scotland. The beach and skyscrapers kind of give that one away. It was shot in south America and created by Lowe Argentina.

Some from the agency emailed me a while ago to complain about how their ad had been butchered with the adding of the voiceover. I'd have to agree, it’s terrible, but as I gather a naff Scottish voice over is not reason enough to complain to the ASA, which is a shame.

The ASA was, of course, having nothing to do with the missives from the 12 step hyperhidrosis boys and dismissed the complaints, although it did say that some people might find the ad distasteful, but didn't elaborate as to whether this had anything to do with... OK I'll stop now.

1 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it's ridiculous. We must live in a hyper sensitive society if people can be offended by what is so clearly a spoof. Granted, some people do suffer from excessive sweating, but surely even they would not be offended by the ad.

The first time I saw it I laughed out loud and remembered the product afterward. Had I been an excessive seater I'm sure my reaction would have been the same, only I might have also gone out to try the product myself...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home