Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sony Bravia Mk2

You really are only as good as your last piece of work. And when your last spot happens to be an award-winning Jose Gonzales sound-tracked advertainment by Fallon featuring the technicolour balls bouncing down the streets of San Francisco (here for your enjoyment) directed by Nicolai Fugzlig, then you have a lot to live up to. Sadly, the new Sony Bravia spot doesn't quite make it, there's lots too enjoy, but it hits a wrong note for me.



The Jonathan Glazer directed spot (you can watch it here) falls short, feels flat, hackneyed (it could well be Hackney’s fine council estates) and its full of paint. Was there a joke in there somewhere about paint balls? Maybe not.

There is the nod to 'Clockwork Orange' in there with the council estate and the classical music soundtrack (Rossini’s Thieving Magpie) but still, it isn't something that you could watch over and over and still enjoy. It’s hard to say exactly what it is, but the music is wrong, Rossini is nice, but doesn't quite fit.

I'm not alone. Visitors to Brand Republic's Forums are not impressed either.

Millie22 says "I think I am disappointed? I was really, really looking forward to it, but some bits (think there is a blue firework for example?) look so digitally placed it isn't right?"

Blindsided thinks it’s the music as well: "But the music is...how can I say it? $hit."

Mrs Belmont thinks the music sucks as well and has a few suggestions: "They should DEFINITELY have used better music like ‘My Colouring Book’ by Dusty Springfield, Abba or anything at all from Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Coat."

While Linsterman says: "It is nowhere near having the same shivering-down-the-spine effect as the first one with Jose Gonzales balls."

6 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Lost Boy said...

I agree about the music- bit of a cliché- but I did like the ad.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger olidee said...

Sometimes we advertisers are as pretentious as bad artists. Anyone who hadn't seen the 'balls' ad - which isn't all *that* amazing by the way, get over yourselves guys - would be singing the praises of the 'paint' ad.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Mrs Belmot said...

Thank you Gordon for naming me!
I've 'blogged' this advert as well on my blog. It's DEFINITELY worth reading and it's right here:
http://mrsbelmot.blogspot.com/2006/10/paint-dog-toilet-seat-apology-code.html

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous blindsided said...

Fame!! Woo hoo!!

But on a serious note, Olidee, I don't think it's pretentious to suggest the mood of the music doesn't fit the mood of the ad as a whole, surely that's an opinion (and judging by the people who agree, a valid one?)

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous alan 'voice of the balls' deadlyoh said...

I've always found Jose Gonzales' balls sent a shiver down my spine.

Can't believe no one else came up with that.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous donovan said...

I suggest my song 'colours'. 'yellow is the colour of my true love's hair when I am thinkin of the time'....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home