Wednesday, September 13, 2006

TV break-ups

Breaking up is hard to do, breaking up with your once favourite TV show can be even harder.

In The Guardian today Lucy Mangan writing about her own break-ups inspired by the website of the US television magazine Entertainment Weekly, which has started a blog on which viewers can break up with their formerly favourite TV shows.

So far fans have broken up with shows such as the 'Gilmore Girls,' 'CSI', 'Smallville', and 'Lost'. The number breaking up with 'Smalleville' is off the scale.

I know a lot about this. I've broken up with a few long term TV loves in my time 'X-Files' '24', 'Alias', 'E.R.' 'The O.C.', and 'Fraser' to name five. There are others that passed away before I had a chance to dump and those that thankfully I never watched all variations of 'CSI', 'Law & Order' and other stuff on Five that involves mean streets and cops. I know the streets are mean.

And then there is 'Lost'. I want to dump Lost, I really do, but I can't quite do it. I'm holding on. I'm not sure why exactly. This is my letter.

Dear Lost,

For a start tell me where the mobile phones are stashed?! There must have been hundreds on that plane, but not one has made it to the beach. Everyone knows you can always get an SMS "help I'm lost" message out where ever you are in the world. But not one and no one ever says "funny about the phones". Guns they got, but a Nokia? Where's a Fin when you need one.

It's a huge mystery. Can you imagine if everyone lost their phones in your office? They would not stop talking about it. Ever. You can tell it bugs me.

But to be honest its not the phones so much. More that on an on you go, but will you ever get anywhere? You know, somewhere? All this travelling without movement, its dizzying.

And what did you do that for? It makes no sense. Michael killing Anna Lucia and Libby like that. Bang, bang and bang. What gives. You'd only just shown us Libby in Hurley's mental hospital. Come on, you can't do that. Why not kill off some of the more useless cast members. Girl with baby or the Koreans.

And the Others? I'm not sure I care. It's like if you're ticking the box that says 'other' you know it doesn't really count. And what happened to the invisibleosaurus?

Please get somewhere of its over. You're are already second fiddle to the best show on TV 'Battlestar Galactica', a show that brings 'The Terminator', together with the darkness of 'Empire Strikes Back' and the politics and fine writing of 'The West Wing'. It's sci-fi for people who don't like sci-fi.

So 'Lost', the clock is running down.

2 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of blogging, which you kindof were, have you no comment on the labour party's pleading on its website for bloggers to create an online labour blog community to match that of the tories?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

I missed that, will have to check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home