Thursday, August 03, 2006

Google life

What kind of Google life do you have? It's just an idle thought. We were in the midst of writing a story about a new marketing chief at the Discovery Channel. I quickly Google the new appointment only to find that Rebecca Barrs Rormark had no Google life. She simply did not exist in the Googleography.

For a few minutes, I thought that the dopey PRs must have spelt her name wrong, but apparently not. Rebecca Barrs Rormark was spelt correctly.

It was like she was a made-up person. Not only was there nothing about the Rebecca Barrs Rormark, but there was nothing about any other Rebecca Barrs Rormark. At all. That is just as weird. All you get on Google is a blank page. Almost unheard of.

Everyone Google's themselves finding out weird mentions of their actual selves and their other selves.

For instance, I have the Gordon MacMillan Southam Observatory named after me. Nice work. There's also Sir General Gordon MacMillan. Well, I was in the army cadets.

Other people in the office in their Google lives have: appeared in 104 movies; went to the work house in 1859 destitute and pregnant; someone else is a rally driver, has a zoo named after them and work in JD Wetherspoons in Norwich – well, they are a journalist, you had to expect it.

7 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Her Majesty The Queen said...

I didn't realise I was that famous....

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, here with a very boring possible explanation... maybe it's a married name she took up recently? I'm amazed at the number of women who still change their names... maybe because I have lots of friends who are journalists and your byline is pretty important. But lots of other women still change their names when they marry.

My favourite Google Twin (just for the picture):
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.otway.com/family/pics%255C72-Jenny%2520Whitehead.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.otway.com/family/72.html&h=253&w=176&sz=11&hl=en&start=13&tbnid=SwjEl6lA_gDb_M:&tbnh=106&tbnw=73&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522jennifer%2Bwhitehead%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Ben Alcock said...

You'd be amazed what comes up when I type my name in.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous her majesty the queen said...

oh Ben, one is so funny.....

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Gareth said...

there are only two of me on t'internet regardless of search engine, me obviously and a former teenage gymnast from Birmingham (England not AlabamA) The only other thing we have in common is that our mothers are both called Jane.


On the otherhand if you put Gareth Wyn in to google most of them are a supposedly famous DJ.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yep I reckon Anonymous is right - this must be Rebecca Barrs ex Flextech, Nick and Viacom?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Gordon said...

Sure, but there's actually nothing on Rebecca Barrs either.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home