Thursday, August 31, 2006

Airfixed

I was truly quite saddened to hear about the demise of poor old Airfix. The model plane and toy soldier maker has gone into administration and I'm quite sure that a piece of my childhood has gone with it.

Hawker Hurricanes, Lancaster Bombers and my personal favourite the Desert Supermarine Spitfire. They hung from the ceiling and provided night time cover, but no more.

There were lots of battleships and submarines as well. My experience was that these did not survive the bath.

Boxes upon boxes of plastic soldiers as well, of course, both the tiny little small ones and the larger ones, which were essential for recreating many WWII skirmishes. You never quite seemed to have enough. Maybe another box? My mother has several thousand of these stashed in boxes in her loft. I'm sure they will come in handy one day.

Video games hit Airfix hard and sales have declined dramatically over the years.

There was also talk that the models got easier and were required less skill and time to make, which possibly means there was not glue everywhere and a pilot that you forgot to stick in the cockpit and then couldn't as it was pretty much impossible to pull the thing apart again without ruining the whole project.

There was an effort a few years ago to introduce more futuristic toys called Robogear in an effort to compete with Power Rangers and Pokemon, but it never really took off.

For me it all sums up images of long summers, sticky glue fingers and khaki paint all over the shop. Maybe someone will yet save the brand and the company. Fingers crossed.

2 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous the online pixie said...

So farewell then airfix
you've got yourself
into a fix
stuck like glue
to an outdated product
to an outdated business plan
to an outdated approach to life.

Never again will glue sniffing
Be so easy to disguise.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous the ghost of print said...

well I'm sad about it. I wanted to show my sons how to make planes. Perhaps we could buy up all the remaining stock?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home