Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Zero appeal

Have you rushed out and tried Coke Zero? I'm betting you haven't.

I drink quite a lot of diet Coke and I'm a bloke, so really I should be rushing out there, but I'm not feeling it.

It could just be me, but Coke Zero feels like another massively misconceived flop waiting to happen. It's New Coke all over again.

I can see Coke execs looking at Pepsi Max and thinking why don't we have Pepsi Max?

But that isn't the question they should be asking. They already have two huge Coke brands. Coke Original and Diet Coke, plus all the lime and lemon variants. There's vanilla as well, but as far as I know that was some crazy American idea that never made it to the UK.

With headlong rush to all things healthy, be it more water brands, smoothies and fruit juices another Coke even with supposedly bloke appeal is not going to crack it.

There's the problem with the proposition as well. Zero Coke (I mean Coke Zero) and Diet Coke both have no sugar...but taste a little different. Do you see a problem there? Okay, Coke Zero is meant to taste like fat Coke, but really it can't.

The great taste of fat Coke comes from that one not so secret ingredient - loads and loads of sugar - and there in lies the problem. How can you imitate something without the key ingredient?

Admit it, Coke Zero is just another Diet Coke variant. And again, what's the point?

I could be completely wrong. The ads are aimed at Nuts and Zoo readers after all. It could only be, what with catchy straplines such as "Blind dates without the psychos" or "Girlfriends without a five-year plan".

All very challenging stuff, I'm looking at my watch and just trying to work out how long it is before the relaunch campaign kicks in.

6 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Lost Boy said...

I stopped drinking Coke years ago and am baffled as to the point of this new product. So, it's Coke, but without sugar. Er, isn't that what Diet Coke is? Anyone? Oh, and Vanilla Coke did make it to the UK in 2003. I broke my self-imposed Coke ban and tried some. It tasted very synthetic.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Winston Churchill's preserved cock said...

Yep Vanilla coke was overpriced, oversexed and over here.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can't beat the real thing

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous I'd like to buy the world a coke but I'm just too damn paranoid said...

The best thing they could do with coke is to bring back the small amount of cocaine that was included in the original recipe.

'Coke Coke' would take the world by storm.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger technokitten said...

I hate diet coke, diet pepsi, diet this and that but coke zero really does taste like the real thing. I was very pleasantly suprised. Me trying it though had nothing to do with the advertising, it was because they were giving samples away in the street. It was a hot day, they had cold drinks. Who's going to say no to that?

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Paul said...

I loved Vanilla Diet Coke (I'm surely not the only person drinking 'diet' products precisely because I can't get enough sweetness and am therefore a fat b*stard, so making Diet Coke even sweeter by adding vanilla seemed like a masterstroke), but I'm very sad to report that it's been axed recently. I had my last drop a couple of evenings ago. I'd be more upset if it weren't so incredibly easy to replicate by adding a few drops of vanilla flavouring to Diet Coke.

As for Coke Zero, I'm a bloke in my mid/late 20s and it appeals to me as little as, well, Nuts or Zoo, actually. So I suppose I'm just not in its target demographic of 'laddish' morons.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home