Something is very wrong. C4 has released its '50 Films To See Before You Die' and there seem to have been some major errors.
Where is 'Blade Runner' and 'the Empire Strikes Back'. Both are absent. These two are bonafide classics.
Neither are to be found on the list of films that C4 is featuring as part of its relaunch of Film4 as a free channel on digital cable satellite.
No 'Casablanca' Or 'To Have and Have Not'. Okay, I guess it is sort of trendy not to include 'Casablanca', but one of those films should be in there.
'Citizen Kane' is also absent, that's like a film studies crime.
You might think that the list was draw up by the great and the good. Sadly it's the great and the mediocre with the likes of PR person Jonathan Rutter, along with a couple of critics (Jason Solomons and the very annoying Karen Krizanovich). There's someone called Menhaj Huda who did 'Kidulthood' and panel regular Lord David Puttnam.
'Manhattan' is there instead of 'Annie Hall', although 'the Breakfast Club' has its rightful place over other John Hughes flicks like 'Pretty in Pink'.
There's no 'God Father', no 'Once Upon a Time in America' (or ‘West’ for that matter) or 'Good Fellas'. All important films.
Instead there's stuff like 'The Ipcress File', but no 'Get Carter' or 'The Long Good Friday'.
Oh and 'Lost in Translation' which should be prime example to all of style over substance. Talking of which 'Apocalypse Now'.
Oh, here's the full list.
2001 - A Space Odyssey
A Bout De Souffle
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
All About Eve
Apartment , The
Boyz N the Hood
Breakfast Club, The
City of God
Come and See
Dawn of the Dead
Fanny and Alexander
Ipcress File, The
King of Comedy, The
Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
Lost in Translation
Night at the Opera
North by Northwest
Royal Tenenbaums, the
Secrets and Lies
Shawshank Redemption, the
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
This Sporting Life
Three Colours Trilogy (Focusing on Blue)
Touch of Evil
Monday, July 03, 2006
It's an advertising, marketing, media and PR work thing from the editor of Brand Republic.
- Pizza month I eat a lot of pizza so consider myse...
- Clerks credit Have you ever wanted to see you see...
- Nobody move or Tinky Winky gets it I fear for the...
- Lesbians in Advertising Apparently there are sti...
- Boys own The front cover of Nuts this week has th...
- No dead bodies Could the Financial Times finally ...
- Bravia hole What a shocker. Nothing for Sony Brav...
- Sorrywest It was only a matter of time after link...
- Abi Titmuss gets LBC show My only question is thi...
- Lost TV I must be defective. I can't get excited ...