Thursday, June 22, 2006

Lost TV

I must be defective. I can't get excited about watching TV on the internet.

Channel 4 has said today that its going to broadcast everything on the internet. 'Richard & Judy' and Noel Edmunds' 'Deal or No Deal'. That's two good reasons to say away from your PC.

I like the idea of watching the odd clips, ads and virals, we've all been doing that for years, but who is going to regularly watch hours of programming even if it is 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Lost'?

I want to watch them on a big screen, not burning my balls with my lap top or slouched at my desktop.

Who knows, maybe when the service is up and running people will be flocking to their PCs to watch programming, but I can't help thinking that like programming for mobile devices (other than short clips), it's all something of a dead-end.

It's small and can't you sit back in a jellified state on your couch taking in your huge flat screen TV (okay, I don't have a huge flat screen, but I want one). That could just be me.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Stephen Newton said...

The point is that, with time, you will be watching internet TV on your huge flat screen. Broadcast schedules will then become irrelevant: Coronation Street will be available for download from 7.30pm, say.

Large archives of programmes will emerge, you'll be able to watch foreign TV as easily as domestic.

Setting up your own TV channel will be a bit like podcasting. But will we even need channels? Programme makers could easily cut them out all together.

In fact, anyone who set up a TV review blog that linked to programmes from whoever, would look very much like a TV channel.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Sure, I get that, two technologies fighting it out. But right now its a DVR and a big tv that rules my life. Schedules are already largely irrelevent to a lot of people.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Lord Hesletine said...

Baggsie the 'reviews linking to the shows' idea! I liiiike....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home