Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's all over Motty

I've been hitting the red button and been joining the John Motson backlash and I don't feel at all bad.

I never meant to, but he does sort of get on your nerves and finally, after Gary Lineker telling me to press the red button I finally did. I usually ignore all entreaties to push the thing, mostly because previous experience has been that my Telewest box crashes like a piece of junk as soon as I do.

Not this time. Instead of listening to Motson, I can instead listen to Five Live. It's totally the future. The BBC has got the advantage on this over ITV, where the red button appears to have been forgotten.

Listening to Alan Green and the Five Live team is much the better experience. I know some people love Motty, but it’s the combination of him and Mark "total lack of insight" Lawrenson. They don't work together.

With so many dull games in the opening stages, the last thing you need is a pair of dullards adding to the boring football.

I know Motty can come up with some great lines of sage commentary ("The unexpected is always likely to happen" "And that's England's finest victory over the Germans since the war), but it’s not worth the wait.

The other upside is that the red button means no more Garth Crooks officially the world's most useless interviewer, whose stupid and inane questions make me want to shout a the screen. Many things do this, but the former Spurs striker Crooks is as leaden with a microphone as he was on the pitch. The key technique to his interviewing style is this: "don't listen", which gives us great waste of TV moments such as this:

Sven: "No, we were not happy with our performance".
Garth: "So Sven, were you happy with your performance.

Or

Sven: "Of course, I think we can do better in future games"
Garth: "Can England do better?"

Red button please.

2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Bang on the money Gordon said...

And then there's Graeme Le Saux too. I thought I'd have to stick needles in my ears to avoid listening to him but thank the Lord for the red button.

It shows that interactivity can work, It'll be interesting to see if the likes of ITV can use it in a tie up with someone like Talk Sport.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous 3 5 2 to beat the brazilians... said...

It's going to be interesting to see how ITV respond, especially when one thinks that this is really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to interactivity.

If we could select the replays we want to watch, select commentaries focussing on different aspects of the game i.e. a commentator talking just about the formation of the team rather than the second world war or whatever, then our viewing experience would be transformed for the better.

But how to make money out of these innovations?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home