Monday, February 06, 2006

The IT crowd – future imperfect

Oh dear. Channel 4 really hyped this one. 'The IT Crowd', its new Friday night sitcom, was billed as the future or saviour of the British sitcom. The new 'The Office'. I was actually quite looking forward to it. I liked 'The Office' and enjoyed 'Extras' and was a fan of 'The IT Crowd's creator Graham Linehan's 'Father Ted' and 'Black Books', but what we got was limp and fell flat at every turn. It completely misfired and, as far as I could tell, was completely bereft of any humour whatsoever. I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions here.


Going down? Posted by Picasa

I watched the whole double first outing. A whole hour and I laughed once, at a screen saver joke. I know, how low can you go? That said, I have read a couple of positive reviews, but I can't work out if these were written before they had actually seen the show. Surely that is the only explanation. Quite what Chris Morris was doing involved in the whole disaster is anybody's guess.

4 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally appalling. Overacted and underwritten. Who exactly decided that having an IT guy speaking in a geeky voice (bu-boom) constituted comedy?

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - total rubbish. I had been looking forward to the much hyped IT Crowd and even laughed at the trailers. Really disappointed.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Utter rubbish. I laughed at the first line and then cringed for the remainder of the show. I only persisted with the whole episode in case my colleagues informed me on Monday that it got better in the second half. Unfortunately it didn't. That's 30 minutes I'll never get back.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrible, terrible, terrible. What's going on with Chris Morris? The Day Today and Brass Eye seem like distant memories

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home